Skippers Canyon Heli Hike
- Duration : 8 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Queenstown
- Product code : Skippers Day
Imagine a scenic helicopter flight over spectacular Queenstown, with mountain and lake views to amaze you. Your experienced pilot will soar above the world famous Shotover River, in the 1860’s branded the world’s richest gold bearing river. Jaw dropping aerial views will be mixed with a spectacular flight deep into the Queenstown high country landing below Mt Aurum (Mt Gold), amongst the pioneering relics of the 1880’s gold rush. Here we explore on foot, visiting historic mountain huts, and Dynamo Flat, New Zealand’s first hydro electric power scheme built in the pursuit of gold.
We then take a leisurely 2.-3 hour guided walk down river past herb fields, native forests, wild fruits and water falls to Mt Aurum Homestead and Skippers Point. Here your knowledgeable guide will share stories of the early families and pioneers that forged a living from this dramatic landscape. For our final leg we take a 4WD vehicle along the 1889 Skippers Dray Road allowing us to get close to the terrain we flew over earlier in the day to appreciate the size and grandeur of an area that has been described as ‘more spectacular than Milford Sound’. Your qualified driver will negotiate this road with care and deliver you safely back to your accommodation.Note vegetation experience depends on the time of year. Trip subject to road, river and weather conditions.
- Scenic Helicopter flight into historic Skippers Canyon
- Chance to visit Historic mountain huts
- Learn about the history of the area – the main reason Queenstown grew in the last century
- Visit to New Zealand’s first hydro electric power scheme built in the pursuit of gold.
- 4WD trip along Skippers Road ( one of the only public roads probihited for rental cars)
- Amazing views down on to the Shotover River – Famous for jetboats and white water rafting